Can it count as a "tradition" if this is just the second annual event? I'm going with "yes"...
Last year several nerdy book club pals on Twitter started chatting about keeping our books clean while we eat messy snacks. Someone shared a photo of herself eating hot Cheetos with chopsticks! Well, we couldn't just leave it at that, right? So we threw down the gauntlet - a twitter celebrations of "Chompsticks" and reading.
(You can get more details on how the "Genesis of Chompsticks" at Eat the Book. David is also the creator of the cool image above!)
Last year, since I used light saber chopsticks, I made it my mission to wear a different Star Wars tee shirt in each photo. I roped my silly children into the fun as well. I do own enough Star Wars shirts to make this happen, and I even had some shirts that didn't make the cut. Here's a sample of some of the fun at the Selke household.
I even dedicated my Star Wars Thursday post to the Chompsticks hilarity.
In honor of #chompsticks RT @ChrisBeveridge: Star Wars Thursday: Feeding Frenzy Edition - http://t.co/dOvA9h0p #StarWars
— Maria Selke (@mselke01) August 9, 2012
This year, I'll see how many DIFFERENT fandoms I can cram into #Chompsticks as I add my own geeky flair to the week.
You can join us - please do! The "rules" are really simple:
Sherry (@LibraryFanatic), David (@DavidAEtkin), and I would like to continue the tradition we started last year by running the second annual #chompsticks week from August 1st through August 7th. Getting involved is simple: chopsticks + food/snack + book —>> snap a picture. You can do it daily or just once or anywhere in between.
1) Include chopsticks and any type of treat! Include your current read, and anything else you want to add your own flair to the fun.
2) Tweet a photo with the tag #Chompsticks and be sure to mention @davidaetkin
3) If you are on Instagram (use #Chompstick and post to Twitter) or tumblr or another SM service, feel free to share your photo there, too! Maybe we’ll get more folks to join in the silly.
4) If you are not on Twitter and want to get involved (or know someone else who does), you can send your pic to the extra special email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
5) If you are feeling super ambitious, gather up all your photos at the end and blog ‘em! Hey, there are more serious things you COULD post on your blog – but sometimes silly needs to win out. Help yourself to the #chompsticks badge above. (And let us know when you post–we’d love to see.)
This is an honest-to-goodness slice of my life. Sometimes you just need to dance in the rain.
I'm participating in the Slice of Life Challenge, hosted by the amazing educators at Two Writing Teachers. Now that March is over, we write and share on Tuesdays. Stop by to see what others are posting!
Also - if you stop by and comment, and you are also slicing - PLEASE feel free to include your URL in the comments. With over 200 people slicing, it is often hard to go find your specific link on the Two Writing Teachers page, and I'd love to come read YOUR slice too!